Friday, January 12, 2018

R1

I was born in a car.

My first memories are of big red balloon that approaches the window and tries to get inside. That, and the moment when I fell on the floor of the car when father made a sudden break. I was not afraid. The floor was soft and warm from the running engine.

Brother plopped on the back seat. I saw him fly overhead, umblimical cord and all, only to land next to me. He was screaming horribly and couldn't stop. I was very annoyed, but accepted it as soon as I realized that no one will going to attend to us.

Standing on my toes I pressed my nose against the glass. World rushed by very fast, colors blending in a blur. I tried to pierce the veil of mottled shapes. Only thing I managed to recognize was a haystack. "Horsie eats that!" I said it, of course, in baby-talk.

The car started careening more and more, so I hadn't the chance to learn much about the oustide world. Strong bump got me flying. I saw brother flail his lil hands and disappear in the trunk. Another bump opened the trunk door and he fell out of the car.

"Jump!" Father yelled. Mother was already gone, the door on her side screeched and bumped as the car veered off to edge. I don't know who jumped out first, mom or dad, but I was suddenly all alone in the car. I remember the crash and that I have landed on the ceiling, soft from upholstery. I didn't feel like leaving the car, but when brother rushed past, I ran after him.

"Towards the river!" Father yelled, waving his hands as he ran. I thought he looks like a windmill. Mother was clutching the picnick basket, gasping as she pumped her legs. Brother was zig-zagging, trying, I guess, to find his own way.

"Jump!' Father yelled his last command and threw himself into the abyss. Mother was already rolling down the steep ravine, still clutching the basket. Brother suddenly stopped. That was when I, too, realized that ground was no longer beneath our feet and that we are on the edge of a cliff. Down, at the end of long fall I could see riverbank and rickety shacks along the paved quay.

I looked at my brother quizically. Wanted to ask him what to do next, but I couldn't talk. He went off the cliff, trying to controll the fall. I waited to see where will my family go next, and then - I also jumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment