Tuesday, January 30, 2018

R14

Sand. Sand everywhere as fas as your eye can see. Whisp of darkness hanging at the horizon. I was going to roam the desert till my heart stops, but then I saw the flailing arms of a windmill. Nevena told me, God bless her soul, of her brother Milan living in oasis at the south rim of the sands. Her description was so accurate; tower made of nailed tin, planks, panels, car bumpers with crown of short blades and glass made fantail in the shape of a rooster. She didn't want to let go till I promised her to seek him out. You will be safe there, she said, Milan has vineyard and hunts desert rabbits. I thought she was just rambling from her dying mind, but now I saw the estate of her brother was real. House was long and low, with flat top. Dark shades made house blend in with the surroundings. White rabbit skulls gleamed white in the scortching sun, perched on top of each stake that, evenly spaced and connected by wire, surrounded the compound. Every skull sported a bullet hole, so that it looked as if every rabbit was three-eyed.

I would never roam the desert looking for this place if Nevena didn't get shot in the gut...

No comments:

Post a Comment